Sunday, October 28, 2007

More of our trip

Okay, okay. I know--I've been horribly lazy! Just catching up, I think! Here are some more pictures of our vacation. Absolutely NO chronological order because I'm still lazy!!! Sorry! :)


Noah, Hannah and me between the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument. This was my favorite! I loved standing there, by the Reflecting Pool-turn one way and you see this massive statue of Lincoln, the other way--the Pencil! I loved it!


The World War II Memorial. This was Lyle's favorite part. It was so awesome walking around, seeing a lot of the "older generation". I know many of them were remembering. Whether they were there, or if they were just remembering it all happening. It got me to thinking, another 15 years or so and there won't be anyone else around to tell the stories. Just what's been passed on. I highly suggest anyone go see this. It put so much into perspective for me. It was truly awesome to see.

The Vietnam War Memorial--The Wall. I couldn't believe all the names. Just horrific.


The US Capitol. We took a guided tour with an Intern from Illinois, working with Representative Hale. It was magnificent. After the tour, we got to sit in on a Session of Congress. Had no idea what was going on (and didn't really care!) but it was pretty neat.


The US Supreme Court, just down the street from the Capitol. We were running late for our 2:00 tour of the Capitol so we didn't get a chance to see the inside. We could have taken the Metro back to see it, but there was so much more to see!


Speaking of the Metro...here's Hannah and Noah on one of our rides on the Metro. Looks like Hannah is checking out some of the wierdos we saw!!! :)


Our last day in DC, we took a drive to Annapolis, Maryland. This was a beach we stopped at so the kids could play in the Chesapeake Bay again. They had a great time!


The kids outside the National Geographic Museum, just a few blocks from our hotel.


The kids in the National Geo Museum. They had a demonstration of the Critter Cam. The kids got to stand in the bubble and be taped and later see themselves on the screen, superimposed in Antarctica or some other freezing place. It was so funny--Noah was making stupid faces and noises (being a boy!) and Hannah was looking at him like "Would you just SHUT UP?!!??!?!" The girls at work love this picture!


This is the National Archives--where the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights are housed. Was awesome to see! I had no idea the documents were so unlegible.

This is part of a very scary bridge we crossed to go to Annapolis, Maryland. THREE MILES LONG! Yes, that was 3 miles! I was a nervous wreck the whole time! Lyle and the kids loved it!!

We saw many 2 story McDonalds in DC. Was pretty neat to see!


The Lincoln Memorial. I loved it! So awesome!


Hannah and Noah in front of Abe.


A dead jellyfish the kids found at that beach by Annapolis, Maryland


The Jefferson Memorial. It looks so beautiful across the water.

One of many tiles at the Holocaust Museum. There were about 18 huge sections of tiles that people had put messages on, mostly about the Holocaust. Was supposed to be about the Holocaust! Someone did one that said "Love the Gays". What on earth does that have to do with the Holocaust?!?!?

Hannah in front of some rocks at the Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian.


I can't remember what building this was, but it's somewhere down by the White House. Just beautiful!


Boats in Annapolis, Maryland. It was gorgeous there!



The kids in front of a mural at the Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian.


Another gorgeous building in DC. I just loved this!


Arlington Cemetery. A wondrous, sad sight to see.
These are just a very small snippet of the pictures we took. If you'd like to see more, you can go to http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures;jsessionid=B34154C065E4DD41F3F2B1AD68EBE223?a=67b0de21b357ce3bc44f&sid=0AZOW7do0ZuGLiY and see a few more, including the pictures of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution. I actually have about 600 pictures on my computer. I think there's about 195 on this site. My poor mother was bored to death watching about 450 of them on my TV the day we got back!!! :)
We put shutters on our house yesterday. You know, I've been wanting them for so long, practically dreaming of finally having them on the house. They're up and....I DON'T LIKE THEM!!!! Ugh! I thought white would be best, but I think we needed to add color! However, I chose white because we're putting up porch railing soon, which will be white. I was afraid if we put up burgundy shutters, it'd look stupid with white railing. So...we'll see what it looks like with railing. And maybe they'll look better after they get a little dirty!! :) I'll take a picture soon and you all tell me what they look like.
Better get laundry done and head to bed. We have a long week coming up!!!

No comments: